As a culminating activity to go along with our study of energy and heat transfer students will be asked to follow a specific design to build a solar oven. We hope to use these solar ovens to melt chocolate and marshmallows to make a delicious s’more.
We need a few materials from home to make this project work. I have posted a list of items we will be using and have indicated which need to come from home and which will be provided by the school.
· Students will be given specific directions, in class, for construction.
· Construction will take place Thursday and Friday, June 9th and 10th. Therefore construction materials must be brought to school no later than Wednesday June 8th.
· The testing of the ovens will take place the week of June 13th –June 16th. The actual cooking day will be determined based on the week’s weather forecast. Below is the list of materials needed to complete the project. Thank you in advance. Anything that you can provide will be of help. If you have any questions please contact me.
Aluminum foil (provided by students)
Clear type of tape
Black construction paper
Plastic wrap (provided by students)
Newspapers (provided by students)
· Disposable aluminum pie plate or cake dish (must fit in pizza box) (provided by students)
· Cooking Ingredients, like those for s’more (graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate) (provided by students)